Welcome to the official website of the City of Archer City. Archer City is 25 miles southwest of Wichita Falls, lies at the junction of State Highway 79 and State Highway 25, and is the county seat of Archer County. We are a quaint Texas town that enjoys our “small town” feel and friendliness but also offers some finer aspects of city life.
Many know of Archer City because of our famous native son, Pulitzer Prize winning author, Larry McMurtry. Movies based on his novels, The Last Picture Show and Texasville, were filmed on the streets of Archer City.
Ranching and oil are two major industries in our area. Archer County is known as the “Short Grass Ranching Capital” of the nation because our grass, which is short, has tremendous strength and nutritious qualities. We are also known for excellent hunting. Our area is home to deer, dove, quail, turkey, and wild hogs.
City of Archer City, Texas -- (940) 574-4570
118 S. Sycamore, PO Box 367
Archer City, TX 76351
All images and content on this website are the property of the City of Archer City,
and may not be reproduced or duplicated without the written consent of the City Secretary.
This page was last updated: April 23, 2015
4 B Meeting, Tuesday
April 28, 7 PM
2013 Drinking Water Report
Upcoming Community Events
City Wide Garage Sale
Saturday, April 25
Dog Vaccination Clinic, Sat. April 25, 9-12, First Christian Church
216 W. Main
First Christian Church,n 216 W. Main
Wild Hog Cook Off
Satruday, May 2, 2015
Archer County Rodeo
June 18 - 20, 2015
The City of Archer City is now under a Stage 5 Drought Catastrophe, due to the levels of Lake Kickapoo and Lake Arrowhead being at or below 25%. All restrictions from Stage 4 will remain in effect in addition to new restrictions.
Some of the Stage 5 Water Use Restrictions:
- Irrigation prohibited. It shall be unlawful to utilize any type of irrigation using water produced from the City water system, on any day at any time. This restriction includes all forms of irrigation, including spray, bubbler, drip, hand-watering, etc. This shall include the possible removal of all irrigation meters from residences and businesses. Testing of irrigation systems permitted only upon approval by the City Manager.
- Water used for irrigation from private wells, private ponds, grey water, etc. will be exempt from drought-related restrictions, but must comply with all other city, state and federal regualtions.
- No filling, refilling or adding potable water from the City water system to swimming pools or wading pools.
- No operation of any ouside water feature including but not limited to; fountains, waterfalls, slides, etc.
- The watering of home foundations is restricted to once a week, on the day the property was authorized to irrigate in accordance with the Water Rationing Map.
- Foundations may only be watered between the hours of 8 pm and 12 midnight.
- Foundations may only be watered with soaker hoses.
- It shall be unlawful to wash sidewalks, driveways, concrete slabs, any structure or any part of a structure.
- No washing vehicles unless at a commercial car wash.
- The car wash will be required to close on Sundays and Mondays.
- Fundraising car washes are prohibited.
A water conservation surcharge will be applied to all residential accounts for use over 8,000 gallons. Additional surcharges will apply to all yard meters.
Enforcement: This drought catastrophe will be enforced. Any person, firm, corporation or other entity found in violation shall be punished by a fine of $100 for the first offense; not more than $500 for each additional offense. Each day of violation shall constitute a separate offense.
2014 Tax Rate
A TAX RATE OF .75453 PER $100 VALUATION HAS BEEN PROPOSEADOPTEDD BY THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE CITY OF ARCHER CITY.
ADOPTED TAX RATE .75453
PRECEDING YEAR'S TAX RATE .76414
EFFECTIVE TAX RATE .75453
THE EFFECTIVE TAX RATE IS THE TOTAL RATE NEEDED TO RAISE THE SAME AMOUNT OF PROPERTY TAX REVENUE FOR THE CITY OF ARCHER CITY FROM THE SAME PROPERTIES IN BOTH THE 2014 TAX YEAR AND THE 2013 TAX YEAR.
The City is excited to announce that recycling is now available! A recycling container is now located at 221 N. Sycamore (by the large water tower) and will be available to the public at all times.
The following items are accepted:
Aluminum , Plastics, Glass, Paper, Tin & Steel, Milk Jugs, Cardboard, Newspaper, Magazines, Phonebooks
STAGE 5 WATER CONSERVATION SURCHARGES
$6.00 per 1000 gallons for water usage between 8,000 and 15,000 gallons
$12.00 per 1000 gallons for water usage between 15,000 and 30,000 gallons
$24.00 per 1000 gallons for water usage over 30,000 gallons
STAGE 5 WATER
Irrigation and Raw Water Meters
$6.00 per 1000 gallons for water usage between 0 and 8,000 gallons
$12.00 per 1000 gallons for water usage between 8,000 and 15,000 gallons
$24.00 per 1000 gallons for water usage between 15,000 and 30,000 gallons
$48.00 per 1000 gallons for water usage over 30,000 gallons
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has regulations that govern the use of grey water - water from washing machines, showers, tubs, reclaimed rainwater, etc. Refer to the links below to learn more about grey water regulatiions:
Dogs Available for Adoption - Call City Hall at 574-4570 if you are interested in adopting.
I am a a one year old male Pit Bull and the City guys say I am a very good boy!
Archer City Chief of Police Joe Burton passed away 3/25/15 at approximately 10:30 pm at Hospice of Wichita Falls. Chief Burton had bravely fought a long hard fight with cancer since he was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer in August of 2012. Chief Burton was employed as the Archer City Police Chief in May of 2009. Before joining the Archer City Police Department Chief Burton was employed by the Electra Police Department.